In response to being tagged in Jeff Pulver’s “Bucket List” 2008 note on Facebook I’ve spent a day thinking about what should be on my own list. In 2007 I made the decision to end my marriage. A relationship that I’d been in since I was 14 years old. This means that pretty much every part of my life is changing. There’s a new Merlene here. I’m not 100% who she is just yet but for now let’s call her Merlene 2.0 (or Merlene in Motion! Thanks Pistachio!)
So here, in no particular order, is my “Bucket List” of things I’d like to accomplish in 2008:
– learn to drive a car. I’m 39 years old and I’ve never driven a car. Since I was a teenager I was discouraged to get my license with comments such as “not everyone was meant to drive” or “I’ll believe it when I see it.” What was originally something I was discouraged about has evolved into a complete phobia to the point where I feel physically ill at the thought of getting behind the wheel of a car. So this is the year that I take a driver’s course. Hell I’ll take 2 or 3 if that’s what it takes. I will get my license.
– take some training courses and certifications. I’ve been wanting to get my certification in home staging and professional organizing for several years now. This year I’m planning to stop thinking about it and start doing it.
– start my own business. Again something I’ve wanted to do for years but have been discouraged by another not to. This year combined with the training above I’m going to start my own contracting business in the areas of professional home staging and organizing. I’ve built up some great contacts in real estate sales and in the world of general contracting. It’s time again to stop thinking about it and start doing it.
– travel. Specifically I want to travel to at least 2 shows/conferences in the new/social media world. I’ve met some great people who I think are doing great things in the changing world of media and I’m excited to learn more and get more involved in things.
– be visiable. I’ve spent much of the last 18 years at home. Literally. I have gone as much as 7 weeks at a stretch without leaving my home. This year I plan to get out and get involved in things: community groups, Toastmasters, local social media groups, etc.
– write. I’ve several book ideas (both fiction and non) and hundreds of blog post and article ideas but I never seem to get myself organized to just write. Again a level of discouragement in that area that’s being eliminated.
– learn. I’m constantly learning new things and I want to continue that. Always.
I have a longer “Bucket List” of sorts that’s more of a 10 yr plan but that can wait for another day.